Dogmatic Questions

This blog is dedicated to posing and (I hope) answering theological questions that arise in connection with Christianity. I read all comments, so don't hesitate to post a comment even if the post is years old: these are long-term interests of mine! I don't post every day, I'm afraid, so I suggest that, if you are interested, you go to http://www.changedetection.com/ and put the name of this blog in it, so that you will be e-mailed when there is a new post or comment.

Name:
Location: Liverpool, United Kingdom

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Penal Substitution

Why don't we allow penal substitution in society? Why is it, for example, that we don't allow a husband to serve a wife's gaol sentence? Indeed, why don't we allow someone to pay another's fine? If I just write a cheque to the magistrate's court and say 'that's to cover the next few people that you fine' they won't accept it. Of course, I can actually give the money to the guilty person and let him or her pay the fine, but this isn't analogous to the Protestant doctrine of penal substitution; in fact, it is analogous to the Roman-Catholic idea that Christ makes satisfaction for us and we offer that sacrifice to God in the mass.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ian Hugh Clary said...

I know this is irrelevant to the question on penal substitution, but I wondered if you could ask a question on my behalf?
My question is: do we commit the etymological fallacy when we're trying to determine the original meaning of the biblical author? And if so, how should Christians view the etymological fallacy?

4:46 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home