Dogmatic Questions

This blog is dedicated to posing and (I hope) answering theological questions that arise in connection with Christianity. I read all comments, so don't hesitate to post a comment even if the post is years old: these are long-term interests of mine! I don't post every day, I'm afraid, so I suggest that, if you are interested, you go to http://www.changedetection.com/ and put the name of this blog in it, so that you will be e-mailed when there is a new post or comment.

Name:
Location: Liverpool, United Kingdom

Friday, June 23, 2006

Ordo Salutis

Ian has raised on this blog some interesting questions on the ordo salutis, or the order of the events that comprise the application of our salvation. I have tried to answer him in the comments section, but I thought that others might be interested in posting comments too.

The more general question is this: what is the logical order in which the various aspects of our salvation come? Specifically we are now interested in the order of the application of redemption (as opposed to Jesus's purchase of redemption, which was the subject of my post on imputation and union), and we are concerned with the logical order, since all admit that there is no temporal order here.

This good article says that the order is:
effectual calling, regeneration, faith and repentance, justification, adoption, definitive sanctification, progressive sanctification (perseverance), and glorification.

But the main point of this post is to draw people's attention to an excellent article that contains a detailed discussion of Bavinck, Calvin, Murray, Gaffin, Berkhof, Berkouwer, and Hoekema. (You need to scroll down past the Italian!)

If you have a comment on the order of salvation please feel free to post it below.


3 Comments:

Blogger Ian Hugh Clary said...

Hi Daniel,
Thank you for the links to those articles. I've become engrossed in this subject as of late and have been reading Gaffin, Calvin and Bavinck to great benefit.
As I mentioned a moment ago in your previous post's comment section there are two great lectures (streaming) at www.two-age.org by Gaffin on the relationship between ordo salutis and historia salutis. Your readers might want to check them out.
I was greatly surprised when I saw in Gaffin that having union with Christ as the priority of the ordo, with the other elements flowing out of it, actually protects us from a theology of infused righteousness! Again, I highly recommend his Resurrection and Redemption.

5:14 pm  
Blogger Ian Hugh Clary said...

If anyone would like a copy of the above linked article on Bavinck's ordo salutis, I have copied it and made it more readable to the eye. I can send a PDF. Just email me at ianhughclary@hotmail.com

5:59 pm  
Blogger Daniel Hill said...

Thanks for these helpful posts, Ian. I agree that having union with Christ as the basis for the application of redemption guards against the idea of infused righteousness. Since we are united with Christ we have his perfect righteousness. There is thus no legal need for us to have a separate righteousness of our own.

2:28 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home