Dogmatic Questions

This blog is dedicated to posing and (I hope) answering theological questions that arise in connection with Christianity. I read all comments, so don't hesitate to post a comment even if the post is years old: these are long-term interests of mine! I don't post every day, I'm afraid, so I suggest that, if you are interested, you go to http://www.changedetection.com/ and put the name of this blog in it, so that you will be e-mailed when there is a new post or comment.

Name:
Location: Liverpool, United Kingdom

Friday, August 18, 2006

Were the heroes of the OT regenerate?

We say that the heroes of the Old Testament had repentance and (some degree of) faith, and, consequently, were justified, and will be (or have been) glorified, but were they regenerated and indwelt by the Holy Spirit? Were they united with Christ? If so, what was the difference between them and us, believers now? If not, how come they managed repentance and faith, for which we need the help of the indwelling Holy Spirit?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Daniel,

A few thoughts. Books should be there soon, I hope.

The idea of “heart circumcision” is not only a future (new covenant) indicative (Deut 30:6) but a present imperative (Jeremiah 4:4), finding its response in the likes of David and other Pslamists (e.g. 1:2; 19:7-11, 14; 119).

Even though in Israel such heart-renewal was not typical, perhaps quite infrequent, is really beside the point. It may not have been typical but it was normative; it was an integral aspect of old covenant religion realized over the centuries in the true Israel (Rom. 9:6-8), in a ‘remnant chosen by grace’(11:6)”.

To argue, like some, that the law was only externally known in the Old Testament whereas in the New it becomes internally known is problematic (ie: categorical external-internal). To say that Pentecost brings heart-internalization for the first time, not only undermines the unity of biblical religion generally but strikes at the center of Paul’s insistence that, before as well as after Christ’s coming, there is but one justification by “faith working through love” (Gal. 5:6). Faith that results from something other than the inwrought regenerating work of the Spirit is just not the faith of Abraham. I hope this vital point has been made that this Old Testament prophecy is not limited to the New Covenant era (post-resurrection).

Plus, our Lord rebukes Israel's teacher, Nicodemus, for not knowing about regeneration (John 3).

Mark

3:57 am  
Blogger Daniel Hill said...

Thanks for this, Mark. I look forward to the books on my return from holiday in July.

What about these two passages? Don't they refer to a change in God's dealings with his people?
Jeremiah 31:33
But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, declares the LORD: I will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts. And I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

Ezekiel 11:19
And I will give them one heart, and a new spirit I will put within them. I will remove the heart of stone from their flesh and give them a heart of flesh,

9:47 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home